94 replies to this topic

#91 peabrain

peabrain

peekabooyoufuckyou

• Members
  • 6,320 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostHeidfeld, on 03 September 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

After a few listens, I've got this above LTP, EV and LC.  However, R is the only album I can consistently still listen to.

wow this is by far the worst to my ears.

i believe we can reach the morning light

#92 fifiroxy

fifiroxy

burn the witch

• Members
  • 15,193 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

View Posthommefile, on 19 September 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

No bueno
In general or specifically?

#93 hommefile

hommefile

Oppa gangnam style

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

In general, I think it's really bad... I was kind of expecting something better because I diggity dig the live version of Villains of circumstance

The critics seem to love it though:

Posted Image

I suspect they just want to be liked by Josh, and I COMPLETELY understand and respect that
Posted Image

#94 Demon

Demon

i'm the mule!gimme what i want

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

do you understand how the music business works?

labels can either pay reviewers for favourable reviews, or the reviewers are friends with the artist

when ryan schrieber is friends with a musician, do you really think a less than favourable review of that musician will appear on his website pitchfork.com?

music reviews can be just another arm of marketing for labels. there are also ideological factors at play, eg pitchfork who championed alternative rock in its infancy, now anointing black artists as the relevant music of our time. there was also a paradigm shift when pitchfork bothered to review a lady gaga album, let alone give it a good review.

review sites are also beholden to their advertisers. pitchfork has a partnership with apple music, so it is obviously going to increase coverage of artists who have exclusives on apple radio.

look at the 'reviews' for the harry styles album. money can buy anything.

#95 hommefile

hommefile

Oppa gangnam style

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:29 PM

...sort of what I said.

I don't hate Harry's new music. also I think he's kind of cute. I read some reviews that compared him to David Bowie though lmao
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users