• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 DeRo-the-MoFo

DeRo-the-MoFo

the mule want it.....sunday.....

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

I know this could be done in the talk about whatever forum but I felt I would get better responses here...anyways I just want to see what type of headphones you guys use.  I was just using your typical cheapo headphones for the past so many years. Then someone gave me a lecture on how headphones can make a huge difference in the music you listen to, and they recommended a few headphones to try out, one of them being Grado SR60s found here. I ended up ordering them off the internet and they really do make your music stand out that much more and you can really hear things you may have missed on your typical headphones or speakers.

#2 dhfarka

dhfarka

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(DeRo-the-MoFo @ Jan 24 2007, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this could be done in the talk about whatever forum but I felt I would get better responses here...anyways I just want to see what type of headphones you guys use.  I was just using your typical cheapo headphones for the past so many years. Then someone gave me a lecture on how headphones can make a huge difference in the music you listen to, and they recommended a few headphones to try out, one of them being Grado SR60s found here. I ended up ordering them off the internet and they really do make your music stand out that much more and you can really hear things you may have missed on your typical headphones or speakers.

Grado Labs - NICE - just got my SR 80's a few weeks ago and i love them.  If you listen to bands like Goon Moon and NIN with them- you notice stuff you never noticed before.  They really do make your music stand out more.

#3 Blood-On-Our-Hands

Blood-On-Our-Hands

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

SENNHEISER HD212 Pro's

#4 blackbird

blackbird

slow jams

• Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:23 AM

AKG 240's

#5 imhotep

imhotep

burn the witch

• Members
  • 9,572 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

pro-luxe
OA-580

#6 NOODLE BOOTS

NOODLE BOOTS

pouch?.....yeah, it's arboreal rock

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:22 AM

I have 2 pairs I love..

I have a pair of akg k240's...which kick ass they have such a flat response you can everything great for mixing..

and a pair of koss ur 40's which are loud as fuck and allow you to basically drown out the rest of the world...they are also the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever owned....

#7 rockon

rockon

burn the witch

• Members
  • 6,527 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:58 AM

Sanyo--cordless infrared headphone hp-3
cool as.

#8 elderberry

elderberry

geek

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

mine are just some oooooold Sony MDR-CD60's...  they're big, they're super bassy, but they work for me.  they definitely fit into the 'drown out the rest of the world' category.

and most importantly they beat the hell out of any earbuds i've ever tried.  there's just something about having to preoccupy one's self with inner ear pain for the sake of more compact headphones that doesn't make sense to me.

#9 Crackerjack

Crackerjack

Green no more

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:05 AM

at home: sennheiser hd280 pro
I liek alot!

on the go: sennheiser hd201
Utter crap shit head fuck. I'm thinking of getting "earpad headphones" like the Koss Porta Pro. They sound great but too much leakage for the subway.

What do you guys use ouside/on the road?

#10 FinkBrau

FinkBrau

i'm the mule!gimme what i want

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

I use Sennheisers CX-300 with my iPod :

They're fucking great.

#11 stulad

stulad

geek

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:52 AM

I'm a BOSE man myself;

At home/travelling - BOSE Quiet Comfort Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones (These are fucking amazing! Especially on a plane or in a car, they really do cut down the noise)

Outside walking about with the MP3 player - BOSE in ear headphones (also amazing, fit snugly and great sound.)

#12 new_board_member

new_board_member

geek

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:31 PM

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview...o_headphone.jpg

this type

#13 hotdog

hotdog

Fruit Boy

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

At home, my dads old Grado SR60 and on the go i use a pair of Creatives HQ-1700s, quite a lot of bang for your buck.

#14 Guitaroooo

Guitaroooo

Spidey Time!!!

• Members
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:15 PM

best headphones ever.

#15 TheAceRock.

TheAceRock.

stupendous

• Members
  • 15,861 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:00 AM

standard iPod issue when i'm out and about. Sony MDR-XD200 when i'm at home and looking for some sweet sounds.

#16 roguefish

roguefish

geek

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:41 AM

Shure E4c's. Highly recommended. The lower-end Shures are great too. Or the E5c's, if you can afford them.

#17 awareness

awareness

seriously...

• Members
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:47 AM

I use the shitty earbuds that came with my LG mp3 player.  I have to crank the volume to the absolute ear shattering maximum just to hear anything when I'm listen to tunes and out cruising on the bike because of all the wind noise.  Still can't hear anything.

#18 DeRo-the-MoFo

DeRo-the-MoFo

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 07:04 AM

we all use a lot of different kinds...i'd like to try all of them out and narrow down the best....i am extremely happy with my grado SR 60's though. ...just a quick question here. what brand would you rather go with: Grado or Sennheiser? I have heard that bose are good but they are way over-priced.

#19 all_the_same

all_the_same

Im the mother flippin'

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

im happy with me ipod ones

#20 elderberry

elderberry

geek

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(Crackerjack @ Jan 27 2007, 05:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
at home: sennheiser hd280 pro
I liek alot!

I'm looking at these hd280s pretty seriously right now and am wondering what you think about their portability when collapsed.  As I previously stated, I'm not a big fan of earbuds and am looking for a slightly more hi fi offering that aren't too ridiculously priced.  

Am I insane to even think of taking a pair of cans like this on the go?

(I just learned that headphones can be called 'cans' from reading a few reviews and am now naturally exploiting this new knowledge.  Please bear with me.)

#21 The Dude

The Dude

The Hated Man

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 02:56 AM

Sennheiser HD 555s.

They're okay, not absolutely delighted with them. I only really use headphones when Im in bed and they aren't really comfortable lying down.

#22 Crackerjack

Crackerjack

Green no more

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(elderberry @ Jan 29 2007, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking at these hd280s pretty seriously right now and am wondering what you think about their portability when collapsed.  As I previously stated, I'm not a big fan of earbuds and am looking for a slightly more hi fi offering that aren't too ridiculously priced.  

Am I insane to even think of taking a pair of cans like this on the go?

(I just learned that headphones can be called 'cans' from reading a few reviews and am now naturally exploiting this new knowledge.  Please bear with me.)

They are really portable for their size, yes.
Don't use them on the go. I'll tell you why: Pleather muffs is sweaty as hell and they are really big and heavy when you're wearing them. Also the cord is coiled.
I see where you're coming from though. They cancel out alot of noice and leak very little, which is what you want on a plane or train. But also in a studio which is what these are designed for.

I bought them for studio use mainly. But I'm perfectly happy with them for listening at home too. Allthough I would definately buy a pair of expensive open cans for home if I could afford it.

#23 elderberry

elderberry

geek

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Crackerjack @ Jan 31 2007, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are really portable for their size, yes.
Don't use them on the go. I'll tell you why: Pleather muffs is sweaty as hell and they are really big and heavy when you're wearing them. Also the cord is coiled.
I see where you're coming from though. They cancel out alot of noice and leak very little, which is what you want on a plane or train. But also in a studio which is what these are designed for.

I bought them for studio use mainly. But I'm perfectly happy with them for listening at home too. Allthough I would definately buy a pair of expensive open cans for home if I could afford it.

Thank you for your informed response.  I really like the collapsibility feature and am looking for isolation for recording and noisy situations mainly, along with decent fidelity, of course.  I don't do a lot of 'on the go' listening as some would probably define it (i.e.- while actually moving on one's feet), I do more of the carry my pod and 'phones in my bag or pocket, sit and read sorta thing, so I'm thinking that these could be cool for this.

The affordability plays a big part in it as well.  I didn't know they even made $1000 headphones til I started looking around a bit at the grado site that was linked earlier.  I'm not going to be able to do a more expensive pair on top of these, at least not for now.

#24 handen

handen

Simple Exploding Man

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

Sony MDR V-500

I hate the fuckin loopy cord that always gets itself into knots but the sound quality is wicked.

#25 token

token

Happy robot

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

Sony MDR-V3.

They're ok for normal listening but are getting pretty worn out. I'm thinking of getting new ones, possiby Sennheisers, since I've gotten used to HD 25's at work.

#26 hurbetzi

hurbetzi

robot rock

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:18 PM

Out there: Generic Sony earphones that came with some old discman. They sound ok and donĀ“t look too nerdy.

At home: AKG k-55

#27 Lanky

Lanky

regular john

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

A Grado SR-60 for me too cool.gif
I'm surprised to see so many Grado users here. Allthough I can't say I really use mine. But they are great..

#28 To The Center

To The Center

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users